Weekly message from Principal Stephanie Kristovic:
Living Faith| Achieve Excellence| Develop Character| Be Warm and Welcoming| Promote Teamwork
MESSAGE FROM THE PRINCIPAL
Lumen Christi is excited to be piloting a new internship program for seniors in the class of 2020 called LC Advantage. LC Advantage’s first class will participate in the fall of 2019.
Through this program, we hope to build upon the many strengths of the Lumen Christi community and the Jackson community. We know our students are incredible; everywhere they go, citizens are astounded by their strong work ethic, responsibility, attention to doing the small things right, and commitment. We know that Jackson County is founded upon entrepreneurs, and that the many small businesses in the area are successful because of their innovative, adaptive spirit. Finally, we know that our excellent students become excellent alumni, and are leaders in their community, both locally and nationally.
LC Advantage, an 18-week internship program, will highlight and leverage these strengths to gain our students a tangible, meaningful advantage over other graduating high school seniors. A committee of Lumen Christi supporters, chaired by Larry Schultz of Great Lakes Industries and Nick Arcaro of Miller Tool and Die, and including Mike Robbins of Rehmann Financial, Mrs. Nancy Lefere (faculty), and Tim Lefere (Class of 2020), worked over several months to vision and plan for this program. Features include:
- Students will attend internship for 18 weeks in semester 1.
- Internship runs Monday – Thursday from 8 a.m. – 10 a.m.
- On Friday, students participate in a dual enrollment class to support their in the field learning. All students in the program are automatically accepted into this class.
- Students and partners participate in a match process in May to assign students to partners.
- Partners pay $1000 of the student’s tuition, as a donation in recognition of their hard work.
- Students may be offered evening, weekend, or summer work following the conclusion of the internship.
- Internships will be offered in fields of manufacturing, business, retail, finance, medical, IT, and engineering.
We hope families will consider giving their students an exceptional advantage for their college and career pathway through this program.
To learn more, families are invited to an information night on Wednesday, February 13 from 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. in the library. Please also find some learning documents attached to further explain the program.
Thank you for choosing us to love, support, and challenge your children.
In the Light of Christ,
From the Main Office! Mark your calendars!
Wednesday, February 13, 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.: Tuition Assistance Information Night
Wednesday, February 13, 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.: LC Advantage Internship Information Night (Grade 11)
Friday, February 15, No School
Monday, February 18, No School
Thursday, February 28, 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.: Academic Advising Night, Grades 8 – 11
From Mrs. Lefere and Mrs. Leathead: February is Heart month and Congenital Heart Defect Awareness week. Next Thursday – Valentines Day- we will be raising awareness and having a dress down day to support to C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital Save A Heart Fund. This fund helped a child of Lumen graduate Dominic Potter (class of 2000). His daughter, Brooklyn, was born with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS). The structure of the left side of the heart is underdeveloped or missing altogether. Basically, she has half a heart. Treatment options are a series of three open heart surgeries or a heart transplant. Those born with this defect will need lifelong cardiac care. . They are committed to advancing critical research and programs that can help kids with heart defects grow up strong.
Thursday, Feb. 14th – Dress Down Day. $3.00 (or more) to support heart research at Motts Children’s Hospital. Jeans, track pants, wear RED, WHITE or PINK(suggested). Have a heart!
From Mr. Havlicek: Juniors: Meetings are taking place now to being discussion about your college/career path with Mr. H. Sign-up with Mr. H soon to reserve your place to begin these conversations, and better find the “right fit” for your post-High School years.
From the Library: This year’s Book Fair is in the “books” and despite the many interruptions of no school it was a success and through the generosity of our families we have been able to add quite a few new books to our library as well as granting many teacher wishes for their classrooms. If you were unable to make it in to the physical book fair the on-line portion is still available through February 18th. Click on the link below and shop from the comfort of your home and enter the coupon code APP19 to receive $5.00 off an order of $25.00 or more.
From the Main Office: Enrollment is now open for the 2019 – 2020 school year. ALL Families attending Jackson Catholic Schools must enroll online. Each family is required to pay a yearly Family Enrollment Fee 0f $55.
To ENROLL your family, visit. www.jcslumenchristi.org
Next Weeks in Sports:
Monday Feb 11
- Varsity Comp Cheer Away @ Hastings for I-8 Jamboree 430
- 7th grade girls Away @ Marshal 430
- 8th grade girls Home V Marshall 430
Tuesday Feb 12
- MS Wrestling Away @ Coldwater 430
- JV Boys Basketball Home V Marshall 530
- JV Girls Basketball Away @ Marshall 530
- Varsity Boys Basketball Home V Marshall 7
- Varsity Girls Basketball Away @ Marshall 7
Wednesday Feb 13
- 8th Grade girls Home V Western 430
- 7th Grade girls Away @ Western 430
- Wrestling Regionals Away TBD
Thursday Feb 14
- Varsity Bowling Home V Western 330
- MS Wrestling Away @ Hastings 430
- JV Boys Away @ Harper Creek 530
- Boys Swimming Away @ Adrian 6
Friday Feb 15
- JV Girls Home V Harper Creek 430
- Varsity Girls Home V Harper Creek 6
- Varsity Hockey Home V Tri-Valley 7
- Varsity Boys Home V Harper Creek 730
Saturday Feb 16
- Gymnastics Away Conference final TBD
- Comp Cheer Away Districts @ Vandercook, TBD
- Varsity Hockey Home V DeWitt 8
- From Mrs. Manchester: Thank you to the 5 awesome student hosts who welcomed shadow students on Thursday: Emma Stanton, John Ganton, Jacob Boatin, Michaela Hauer, and Conor Smith. Thank you to Angela Donnelly for presenting her speech on Thursday for the Witness The Difference Tour. You are amazing Congratulations to the15 student athletes who participated in signing day on Thursday.