Join Us for First Friday Mass
One of the many traditions at Lumen Christi Catholic School is our First Friday Mass. It is open to everyone. Parents, students, teachers and the community.
First Friday Mass 2017-2018 School Year
All First Friday Masses are held at 7:15am in the Lumen Christi Catholic School Chapel.
November 3, 2018
December 1, 2017
February 2, 2018
March 2, 2018
May 4, 2018
June 1, 2018
What is First Friday Mass?
The First Friday devotion has grown out of the revelations to St. Margaret Mary Alacogue on the Sacred Heart. In appearing to St. Margaret Mary one of the requests that Jesus made was that Holy Communion be received on the First Friday of nine consecutive months, offered to His Sacred Heart in expiation of sins. For those who would do so He made 12 promises,
- I will given them all of the graces necessary for their state of life.
- I will establish peace in their families.
- I will bless every house in which a picture of My Heart shall be exposed and honored.
- I will console them in all of their difficulties.
- I will be their refuge during life and especially at the hour of death.
- I will shed abundant blessings upon all of their undertakings.
- Sinners shall find in My Heart a fountain and boundless ocean of mercy.
- Tepid souls shall become fervent.
- Fervent souls shall rise speedily to great perfection.
- I will give to Priests the power of touching the hardest hearts.
- Those who propagate this devotion shall have their names written in My Heart never to be blotted out.
- I promise thee, in the excessive mercy of My Heart, that My all-powerful love will grant to all who receive Holy Communion on the First Fridays of nine consecutive months, the Grace of final repentance; they will not die under My displeasure or without receiving their Sacraments; My Divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in their last moment.
While the Church does not specifically sanction these promises, which remain part of private revelation, several things attest to their extreme credibility – the canonization of the mystic, the endorsement of the message by complying with it – the Popes have endorsed the devotion, commanded the Jesuits to spread it, and established the liturgical cult of the Sacred Heart, with a Feast, Mass and Office.
So, Catholics are fully justified in believing the content of the promises, though by reason of their credibility, not supernatural Faith.