This Week at LC 9.7.18
From the Lost & Found Bin: We already have uniform shirts/pants/sweaters as well as notebooks, shoes, lunch boxes in the bin that is in the library. A name written inside somewhere helps get these lost items back with their student. Also, if you have lost something be sure to remember to come in and check the bin.
From Our St. John’s Family: St. John Vendor/Craft Show will be Saturday, December 1st from 10-4! If you would like to be a craft show vendor, please email StJohnCraftShow@yahoo.com for information regarding the show. “Like” us on Facebook also at St. John Vendor/Craft Show and invite/share with all your friends to get the word out even more. It was a great turnout last year and we are hoping for an even better turnout this year!
From the Library: It is not too soon to be starting your book tests for Grades 9 – 12. If you do one a quarter on your own then you add in the books read and tested in your Lit classes it is very easy to complete the required five per year and your summer will be your own!
From Mrs. Kuhl: For students not in the seminar, Prayers and Letters will meet Wednesday 9/12 during 1st lunch in 128. We make cards and write letters to Wounded Warriors, nursing home residents, sponsored children, and prisoners. Service hours are available for completed letters! Join us to see what we are all about!
Seniors: College Reps will be in the building next week. Please make sure to visit the reps of the colleges you plan applying to. WMU, U of M, and Siena Heights will be here.
From Mrs. Fleming: Parents and students: Please check your PowerSchool portal a minimum of once a week. Look for assignment due dates and any missing work that needs to be turned in. Our Academic Reporting system runs weekly and determines academic eligibility based on grades in PowerSchool as of Monday 8 am. Turn in assignments when they are due to best avoid low grades and maintain your academic eligibility.
This year we will be implementing a secure document delivery service that works as part of our School Messenger notification system. We will begin using this service with the Academic Reporting system in order to provide notification of academic information in a more secure and time efficient manner. As the year progresses, additional documents may be delivered through the SecureFile system, such as report cards and schedules. Please be sure to notify us of any changes in your current email addresses.
From President Elaine Crosby: This year we celebrate the 15thAnnual Jackson Family Festival. The event will once again be staged on the grounds of St. John’s School. The dates are September 14-16. There are many new things going on and the committee has been working hard to make this a special event. Money raised at the festival helps to fund tuition assistance at all four Jackson Catholic Schools.
There are many opportunities to help. First, you should have received your raffle tickets in the mail. Please consider buying yourself, or asking family and friends to buy a ticket or two. The raffle is the largest profit center of the festival. You may mail back your tickets in the provided envelope, drop off at any school or parish, or place in the Sunday collection on the 2ndor 9th. Also, you may bring to the festival raffle booth. Just remember all tickets must be received at the festival by 5:00 pm on Sunday, September 16th.
Thank you in advance for your part in making this the best Jackson Family Festival yet!
From Our Faith Team: We are so thrilled to be putting a group of pilgrims together to attend the Diocesan Assembly, Made for Happiness. Like the March for Life, Jamaica, and Kairos, this is an opportunity for our ENTIRE community (including students, staff, and families) to experience a transformative religious experience together. Please find more information about the Assembly here: https://madeforhappiness.org
We will be sponsoring a group to attend. There is an option to attend in the morning (bus leaves at 7:15 a.m. and returns at 12:45 p.m.), afternoon (the bus leaves at 11:45 a.m. and returns at 7:30 p.m.), or all day (the bus leaves at 7:15 a.m. and returns at 7:30 p.m.) with bus transportation provided. We will also be hosting a bonfire afterwards to share community and our experience. We ask participants to donate at least $5 to help cover the cost of t-shirts and transportation. Parents, siblings, and community members are welcome to sign up along-side our students! Please use this link to sign up (families, staff, or students!): https://goo.gl/forms/HKt8zm679brtggqr1
From the Main Office: Mark your calendar for some important upcoming dates! Friday, September 14 is a half day of school for professional development and the Fall Festival. Monday, September 17 is a full day off of school for faculty and staff to prepare for the Diocesan Assembly. Wednesday, September 19 is our all school Open House from 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. The Diocesan Assembly is on Saturday, September 22nd.
From the Advancement Office: Celebrate, Commemorate, Participate! This year we are excited to celebrate the 50thAnniversary of Lumen Christi Catholic School. As we commemorate this significant milestone, we hope you will participate with us this year.
We hope you will join us for a special 50thAnniversary Homecoming celebration on Friday, September 28. You can help us cheer on our back to back state champion football team against Hastings at 7pm. Following the game, we will continue to celebrate as a community at Buffalo Wild Wings in Jackson. Cheer on the team as they arrive at Buffalo Wild Wings. Enjoy food and drink specials while socializing with fellow Titans. We’ll have LC giveaways and more. You don’t want to miss it!
From Cafeteria: If you participated in the Free and Reduced Meal Program last year, please remember that every family must submit a new application each year! Last year’s applications will expire on October 5, 2018. Your student meal prices will revert to full pay status without a new application after that date. Please complete a new application by going to LunchApp.com. Your application will automatically be sent to Linda Leigh’s computer for her to process. Please see the attached document to determine eligibility. We recommend that every family receiving tuition assistance check to see if they are eligible for free or reduced lunch so that we can even better serve your family.
From Mrs. Leigh: We are looking for help! We need 2 parent volunteers each day of the week Monday – Friday to help us serve lunch to our amazing students. The times are approximately 11:20 – 12:20 M, W, Th, F, and 12:00 – 1:00 Tuesday. Please e-mail Linda Leigh at email@example.com if you can help!
From the Library: While our library computer lab is available to all (grades 7 – 12) students before and after school for the purpose of doing research and/or typing assignments and papers for our classes, we need to be mindful of student responsibility and time management. Part of being a success in life is the ability to organize our “jobs” and assigning priorities to accomplish the goal. As such we will be enacting the following printing policy for all papers and assignments beginning immediately:
- Research, typing, and printing may be done before & after school or during the day with permission from your teacher and/or the librarian—other classes scheduled into the computer lab take priority over individual students—up to and including the day before paper/assignment/project is due
- No one will be allowed to use the lab on the day your paper/assignment/project is due – if you have no option for printing outside of school you may bring your paper on a flash drive or share it with Mrs. Lienhart via Google Docs and she will print it for you
From Mr. Havlicek: All Seniors and Senior Parents: Each senior, in their myjacs.org email account, has received the updated Senior College Planning Packet with all the important dates and information. Please take a moment to go through this information and feel free to email Mr. H (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions you have concerning the packet or final year of the planning process.
College 101 Night for Parents and Students: Sept. 26th, 6-8pm in the LC Library.
Next Week in Sports:
- Boys Tennis @ Pennfield – 4:30pm
- MS Volleyball @ Home vs. Pennfield – 4:30pm
- Girls Swim @ Okemos – 6pm
- Girls Golf @ Western – 3:30 pm (Early dismissal at 2 pm)
- Boys Soccer @ Pennfield – 6pm
- 7th Grade Football @ Jackson High 4:15 pm
- 8th Grade Football @ Jackson High 6:30 pm
- Girls Golf @ East Jackson – 9am (Will miss School)
- Boys Tennis @ Hastings – 4:30pm
- JV and Varsity Volleyball @ Hastings 5:15/6:30pm
- Girls Swim @ Lincoln Consolidated Schools – 6pm
- Boys Soccer @ Hastings – 6:30pm
- JV Football @ Northwest – 6pm
- Girls Golf @ Coldwater – 9:30 am (Will miss School)
- Varsity Football home vs. Northwest – 7pm
- Please come join us at our varsity football game vs. Northwest on September 14th. We will be celebrating our Fall Festival and honoring Mary Jo Devine and the Devine family at halftime with a press box dedication! Come out and support our Titans!!
- Boys Tennis @ Ann Arbor Greenhills Quad – 8 am
- Varsity Cross Country @ Holly Invite – 10 am
- JV Volleyball @ Hudson Invite – 8am
- From the Deans: Shout out to our teachers and students! On our final walk through of the day today, we were so impressed with the rigorous learning happening throughout our entire building on a Friday afternoon. Champions never quit!
- From Mrs. Miller: Shout-out to Sophia McCullywho is being honored this Sunday along with other students from Jackson county for their artistic talents. Sophia’s artwork was chosen for Ella Sharp’s annual Art-a-Loan. Her work will be framed and displayed in a local business this year!