This Week at LC 2.4.19
From the Deans: Please remember that it is students’ responsibility to follow our dress and hair guidelines at all times, without warning. We have noticed that many boys need a re-set with facial hair and hair length. Please help your student by making sure that they are meeting the guidelines from our Community Handbook below. Students not meeting the guidelines will not be able to be in class. We will be doing a special check next week.
- Girls: Extreme hairstyles or colors/dyes are not permitted.
- Boys: Hair is to be off the collar and above the eyebrows and ears. Extreme hairstyles (i.e. mohawks, lines, etc.) or extreme colors (dyes) are not permitted. Boys must be clean-shaven. Sideburns are to be no longer than the bottom of the earlobes.
From St. Vincent de Paul Society: St. Vincent de Paul thrift stores will be hosting our annual fundraiser “An Evening at Tiffany’s” fashion show. The event is Saturday, April 13 at the Ken Dillon Event Center (St. John school) doors open at 4:30 and the event ends at 9:00. Adult,s high schoolers and middle schoolers are needed to volunteer for this event. Volunteers are needed to model (especially men), load and unload trucks, usher, greet, wait tables, help in kitchen and the boutique. Email- email@example.com , phone- 517-784-8377, or through our website http://www.svdpjackson.com
From Mrs. Fleming:
Grades for Dual Enrollment and Online courses
If your student has taken dual enrollment or online courses or courses from other schools, you may view this information on the Historical Grades screen through your PowerSchool portal. Please sign in through a browser, not the mobile app. By clicking on the letter grade you may view detail on credit, and grade points awarded.
Upcoming ACT testing
**Parents of Juniors:** Juniors will be taking the ACT test on February 20th, 2019. Please reserve this date on your calendars. Plan ahead and avoid making appointments for your student on this important date
On Thursday, February 7th, Juniors will be completing their Student Profile information for the ACT in English class. They will enter demographic information as well as indicating college plans and interests and four Colleges to receive test scores. They will receive a guide to Taking the ACT, It contains important information on what they will need for test day. Please review this information with your student.
Additional resources are found at www.actstudent.org .
From the Library: The Book Fair has been held over by popular demand — Book Fair will be open until Wednesday afternoon. Please feel free to stop by and shop — we can use a couple more volunteers, if you missed due to the weather please come help this week.
From the Drama Department: Save the Date — our spring musical, OKLAHOMA! will take place on Friday, March 8th & Saturday, March 9th at 7:30 p.m. or Sunday, March 10th at 3 p.m.
From Mrs. Kuhl: The LC Interfaith Shelter Project is serving dinner on Monday night again! Fresh fruit donations would be appreciated and can be dropped off Monday in 128.
From the Main Office! Mark your calendars!
On Wednesday, February 13, we will be hosting two information sessions. From 6 – 7, families may come learn about tuition assistance. From 7-8, families of juniors may come learn about a new program we are rolling out for next year as a pilot, the LC Advantage. Stay tuned for more information next week about this program!
On Thursday, February 28, we will host the academic advising and priority scheduling night for current grades 8-11. The event is from 5-7 p.m. Please note that the advising night for current 6th and 7th graders will be in late March.
From MS Yearbook:
To the parents of 7 th & 8 th grade girls basketball players, wrestlers, and
cheerleaders – The 7 th & 8 th grade yearbook staff is always looking for
action photos of 7 th & 8 th grade Titan sports. If you take photos at any of
these events and are willing to share them, we’d love to see them. You can
submit your photos online to our Jostens site.
LOG ON TO: images.jostens.com
Enter the following Login ID: 410533809
- Browse to select the photo(s) you wish to upload, click on “Select My
- Enter information about the photo and provide contact information
incase the staff needs additional information.
- Click “Upload Chosen Images.”
The yearbook staff will review all photos and determine final yearbook
content. We cannot guarantee that all submissions will be used.
Winter sports photos can be submitted until February 25th.
From the Theology Department: The MAN Event is just around the corner. Spend a day learning “how to be a man”, for yourself, for your family, and for society. “Putting on the Armor of God” is the theme of this year’s Diocese of Lansing’s men’s conference. Your spiritual guide is none other than the Dynamic Deacon, Deacon Harold Burke-Sivers, an internationally sought after teacher of the faith. The day includes Adoration, Confession, Mass with the bishop (satisfying your Sunday obligation), as well as great music and a full-blown pig roast. It is open to all males 14 years and up (a youth breakout session is planned), so register all the men in your life. Saturday, February 23 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at Our Lady of Fatima Church in Michigan Center. For more info and to register: www.themanevent.org.
From the Main Office:
Days Ahead! Mark your Calendar – No School!
On Monday, April 8, the Diocese Lumen Christi faculty will be attending Diocesan professional development. Please mark your calendar – No school Monday, April 8 — effectively giving you an extra day off for Spring break!
In tradition, Bishop Boyea each year grants a day off to the students and staff. This year, Bishop Earl Boyea has named Monday, April 22 as a day of no school for you to enjoy an extra day in celebration of Easter Sunday. Please mark your calendar – No school Monday, April 22.
Finally, just a reminder that our students and faculty will honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with a day off of school this Monday, January 21.
From Mr. Havlicek: Seniors and Parents: Please send any Scholarships earned to Mr. H ASAP so they can be recorded and placed in the Graduation booklet at the end of the school year. We want to be able to celebrate the accomplishments of all who have been able to receive recognition, and please send ALL scholarships earned, not just the ones for the school you are attending next Fall.
From the Junior Class: It won’t be long before it is Friday, May 3rd – the Junior/Senior Prom! It is a night to make memories that will last a lifetime. Many factors go into making it a night to remember, one of these is the “perfect dress”. Before you go shopping we wanted to remind you of the Lumen Christi Catholic School Prom Dress Code. (Please be aware that the dress code applies to all Lumen students and their guests—any students and/or guests that are not properly attired will not be allowed entry.) Below is attached a flier that will help with your planning and shopping.
From the Main Office: Enrollment is now open for the 2019 – 2020 school year. ALL Families attending Jackson Catholic Schools must enroll online. Each family is required to pay a yearly Family Enrollment Fee 0f $55.
To ENROLL your family, visit. www.jcslumenchristi.org and look for the Quick Links, located at the top of the home page. Click on FACTS Enrollment and you will be connected to FACTS to complete the enrollment AND important forms for your student. You will also pay your enrollment fee here and choose your tuition payment preference. To apply for Tuition Assistance – please complete the FACTS Enrollment and then to Quick Links and complete the Tuition Assistance Application. For tuition assistance consideration, application must meet the deadline of March 1, 2019 for both school and Diocesan assistance.
Next Weeks in Sports:
***Please be aware that with the snow days, more events may be added or altered over the next couple weeks in order to make up for Athletic Events not held due to weather.
Monday February 4th
- MS Girls Basketball 7th grade Home V Western, 4:30
- MS Girls Basketball 8th grade Away @ Western, 4:30
Tuesday February 5th
- Varsity Bowling Home V Pennfield, 3:30
- MS wrestling Home V Hastings, 4:30 pm
- Varsity Boys Swimming Away @ Pinckney, 6pm
- JV Boys Basketball Away @ Mason, 530,
- Varsity Boys Basketball Away @ Mason, 7pm
Wednesday February 6th
- MS Girls Basketball 7th grade Away @ Harper Creek, 4:30pm
- MS Girls Basketball 8th grade Home V Harper Creek, 4:30pm
- Comp Cheer I-8 Competition Away @ Harper Creek, 5pm
Thursday February 7th
- Varsity Bowling Home V Marshall, 3:30 (Parents Night)
- MS Girls Basketball 7th grade Home V Hastings, 4:30pm
- MS Girls Basketball 8th grade Away @ Hastings, 4:30pm
- MS wrestling Away @ Marshall, 4:30 pm
- Varsity Boys Swimming Home V Lincoln Consolidated Schools, 6pm
- Varsity Wrestling Districts Away @ Napoleon, 6pm
- JV Boys Basketball Away @ Northwest, 7pm
Friday February 8th
- JV Girls basketball Home V Northwest, 4:30pm
- Varsity Girls basketball Home V Northwest, 6pm
- Varsity Hockey Home V Okemos, 6pm
- Varsity Boys basketball Home V Northwest, 7:30pm
- From Our Faculty and Staff: A HUGE shoutout to the parents who provided that DELICIOUS lunch for the staff today. You outdid yourselves! Thank you for such a wonderful lunch. We couldn’t get over the number of choices of food and how delicious it was!
- From Mrs. Crosby: A big Titan thank you to our amazing facility staff for all their hard work this week. Snow, ice, cold….they handled it all.
- From Mrs. Manchester:Thank you to Alexander Hart who stopped this morning on his way in and helped me pick up a few items I dropped from my “over loaded” arms!