This Week at LC 12.3.18
From our Leadership Team: Please join us in praying for the 61 juniors and seniors participating in Kairos next week! We are so excited for the faith, community, and commitment we know will come from this important time together!
From Mr. Marcero: Our HS Band and 7-12 Choral Concert is coming up soon! December 12th, at 7 pm. Selections from the LC Symphonic Band, Men’s and Women’s Choirs, A Cappella Group, Chorale, and 7th and 8th Grade Choirs will fill your soul with the good music of the holiday season. Admission is free!
From the Instructional Leaders: MS Quarterly Assessments and HS Semester exams are coming soon! Please find the schedule below for daily tests. This year, the MS will be following the HS exam schedule and taking their QAs by period rather than by subject. This will help ease our 8th grade advancement program as 80% of 8th graders are taking at least one HS class.
9th – 12th graders will be dismissed at 10:15 a.m. on December 19, 20, and 21 for independent study. Because 7th and 8th graders are not fully ready for independent study, they will have full days of school on the 19th and 20th so that structured review and study can happen during the school day. The 21st will continue as a scheduled half day for MS with a Christmas program following the final exam)
Dec. 18: P 1 (Full day of School)
Dec. 19: P 2, 3 (10:15 release for HS; full day for MS)
Dec. 20: P 4, 7 (10:15 release; full day for MS)
Dec. 21: P 8, 9 (10:15 release; 11:30 release for MS)
From Deans and Football Captains: On Friday, December 14, we will be celebrating our latest state championship as a school! That day will be a free spirit day for all students in grades 7-12. Students may wear sweats, jeans, track pants, or khakis. No leggings or ripped jeans are allowed. Please no sleeveless tops, cleavage, bare midriffs, or sandals. Students MUST wear something Lumen Christi, since this is a day celebrating our victory. We will celebrate with a pep assembly planned by our captains that afternoon!
From Sarah Wilhelm: As the winter season kicks off, just a friendly reminder that if your student athlete does visit the doctor, please bring a note from the doctor on diagnosis and playing status.
From Mrs. Fleming: Spring Arbor University is accepting applications for dual enrollment courses for the Spring semester (Jan. 30 – May 17). Juniors and Seniors considering dual enrollment should apply for courses for next semester now. The application deadline is Jan. 15th, but courses do fill up. A suggested list of courses for dual enrolling students is available from Mr. Havlicek or Ms. Fleming.
Parents of Juniors: Juniors will be taking the ACT test on February 20th, 2019. Please reserve this date on your calendars. Plan ahead and avoid making appointments for your student on this important date.
From Students for Life: From December 3-14, the Students for Life will be sponsoring our annual Advent Diaper Drive in support of the Center for Women here in Jackson. Students are encouraged to bring in a packages of diapers (any size) and place them in the designated bins in their theology classes. The class who brings the most diapers in by Friday, Dec. 14 will win a dress down day during finals week. These diapers will go to help families in need from the Jackson area take care of their little ones during this time of year when Christ himself became small and needed taking care of, so please be generous!
From Mr. Havlicek: ACT Workshop: January 12th in the LC Library, hosted by Sylvan Learning. The cost is $30 and the form to attend is attached. Lumen Christi ACT Flyer
From MS Yearbook:
Parents of 7th& 8thgrade boys basketball players – The 7th& 8thgrade yearbook staff is always looking for action photos of Titan 7th& 8thgrade sports. If you take photos at any of these events and are willing to share them, we’d love to see them. You can submit your photos online to our Jostens site.
LOG ON TO: images.jostens.com
Enter the following Login ID: 410533809
- Browse to select the photo(s) you wish to upload, click on “Select My Images.”
- Enter information about the photo and provide contact information incase the staff needs additional information.
- Click “Upload Chosen Images.”
The yearbook staff will review all photos and determine final yearbook content. We cannot guarantee that all submissions will be used.
Boys basketball photos can be submitted until December 17th
From the Deans: As we transition to winter weather, please ensure your student is prepared to meet the following uniform expectations:
- Young ladies (9-12) may not roll their skirts. Skirts must be of an appropriate length (please check this, as we are at a time of year when many young ladies have had growth spurts!).
- If wearing a skirt, young ladies must have on solid gray, white, or black tights, knee socks, or leggings. Knee socks must go all the way to the knee and remain there for the entire day. Leggings and tights may not have any patterns or words and must be all one color.
- For warm extra layers, students may wear a solid, long-sleeved gray, white, or black shirt underneath their uniform polo. No other colors are allowed.
- For warm extra layers, students may wear the Lumen Christi Chi Rho Quarter Zip, purchased from Educational Outfitters or from our fan shop. No other outerwear is permitted. Students may only wear athletic gear (jackets, sweatshirts, etc.) when pre-approved by their coach, and then ONLY on game days.
- Students must wear an ID at all times.
- Young men must wear a belt and have their shirts tucked in.
Students who are not able to be in uniform may not be in class, so it is very important that they are responsible for these expectations every day.
From Mrs. Kuhl: Collecting fresh fruit for the Interfaith Shelter! Donations can be dropped off in Mrs. Kuhl’s room, 128.
From the Drama Department: Looking for a great way to kick off your Christmas season? Come join the fun with our drama department show “Christmas in Two Acts”. Friday, November 30th & Saturday, December 1st at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, December 2nd at 3 p.m.
Next Weeks in Sports:
- Saturday, December 1:
- Boys’ Hockey vs. Cabrini @ Allen Park at 7:00 p.m.
- Monday, December 3:
- 7th Boys’ Basketball @ Western at 4:30 p.m.
- 8th Boys’ Basketball vs. Western @ Ken Dillon Center at 4:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 4:
- Boys’ JV/Varsity Basketball @ Lansing Everett at 4:15, 5:45, 7:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, December 5:
- 7th Boys’ Basketball vs. Northwest @ Ken Dillon Center at 4:30 p.m.
- 8th Boys’ Basketball @ Northwest at 4:30 p.m.
- Thursday, December 6:
- Boys’ JV Basketball vs. Pennfield at 5:30, 7:00 p.m.
- Girls’ JV Basketball @ Pennfield at 7:00 p.m.
- Friday, December 7:
- Boys’ Hockey @ Mt. Pleasant at 7:00 p.m.
- Girls’ Varsity Basketball @ Pennfield at 6:00 p.m.
- Boys’ Varsity Basketball @ Pennfield at 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, December 8:
- Boys’ Hockey @ Mt. Pleasant at 11:00 a.m. or 1:00 p.m.
- Girls’ Competitive Cheer @ CCCAM Scholarship Meet at 9:00 a.m., 12:00 p.m.
- Boys’ Varsity Wrestling @ Lansing Eastern Individual Tournament
- From Mrs. Manchester: Shoutout to Rylan Brady who stopped me in the hall this morning to help me carry a heavy load to the office.
- From Mrs. Mijal: Shout out to all the 8th graders for having a great field trip to The Henry Ford. Also a big thank you to all our great parent chaperones, especially Carrie Stevens for wrangling her group so well and sending me some wonderful pictures!
- From Mrs. Manchester: Shoutout to the amazing cast and crew of “Christmas In Two Acts” thanks for inviting the staff to join you for the preview!
- From Mrs. Leathead: Shout out to the cast and crew of the Christmas play for a job well done!
- From Mr. Marcero: Shout out to the cast and crew of “Christmas in Two Acts,” our fall play production. If you miss it, you will be missing out on a lot of laughs and fun! Thank you for all your hard work and your dedication to theatre!
- From Sarah Wilhelm: Shout out to Grace Langley for all her help during football season. She jumped in with both feet and didn’t miss a beat
- From Mrs. Lefere, Mrs. Leathead, Mrs. Reed and Mrs. Hovious: A HUGE THANK YOU to the students for being the light of Christ for so many people during the ThanksLiving service project on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. We have heard so many positive and heart warming stories about that day! Parents…be proud of your kids!!!!