This Week at LC 1.27.19
From Beth Thorrez, Jackson Right to Life: Thank you so much for bringing a bus of Lumen students to the Motorcade for Life and Memorial Service. I was blessed to be driving behind them in the motorcade and was so encouraged and uplifted by their smiling faces and constant positive energy and outreach to every person and car they passed. It was also beautiful to see the mostly positive smiling responses from those they engaged. I do at times get discouraged in pro-life work, but I was brought to tears of joy by your students wonderful witness.
From Athletics: Titans of the Month: Congratulations to Seniors Hannah Cavanaugh and Benjamin Cooper for being selected as our titan athletes of the month!
Tennis: The athletic department is seeking a qualified coaching candidate for the girls varsity tennis coaching position. Please contact Michael Kuhl at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
From the Main Office: We are very excited to celebrate Catholic Schools’ Week with our Lumen Christi family this week! Please find two attachments to review the week’s events! Please note there are some updates.
From Mrs. Kristovic: This week, all juniors participated in an ACT review as a part of their Friday seminar. We reviewed the test as a whole, understanding their score, and some brief strategies.
Please find below two videos that showcase FREE resources available to any student to help prepare for the ACT.
We will be offering a two-week ACT prep seminar for all students (juniors will receive first priority). The workshop will be run Saturday, February 2 and Saturday, February 9 from 8 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. February 2 will focus on Math and Science and be hosted by Mrs. Kristovic and Mr. Simmons. February 9 will focus on English and Reading and be hosted by Mr. Miller. Students are able to sign up for just one date or for both dates. The cost is $25 for one Saturday or $50 for both. Light snacks will be provided. Students must sign up with payment in the Main Office by Thursday, January 31. We will require a minimum of ten students per date to run the event.
From Ms. Fleming: **Parents of Juniors:** Juniors will be taking the ACT test on February 20th, 2019. Please reserve this date on your calendars. Plan ahead and avoid making appointments for your student on this important date.
Academic and Attendance Notifications: This Monday, January 28th, begins our Academic Status reporting for quarter 3. Academic Status reports are based on grades as of 8 am Monday’s and can affect eligibility for athletics, special events and optional trips. Please refer to our Community Directory for more information. In addition, notification letters will be emailed every 3 weeks for students reaching attendance and tardy to school levels of concern.
Is your student on track for completing their Service Hours for the current year? Service Hour totals were reported on Semester 1 report cards and are visible on your PowerSchool portal account through a web browser (not the mobile app). Students should be checking school announcements and student email for service opportunities.
From 7th and 8th Grade Teachers: We are looking for parent help chaperoning and running our 7-8 Rec Night this Friday at the Dillon Center! Set-up begins at 4:30 and the event ends at 7, with clean-up until 7:15. If you can help for all or any portion of this event, please e-mail Mrs. Robyn Mijal at email@example.com. Thanks in advance for making this fun event for our students!
From MS Yearbook:
To the parents of 7 th & 8 th grade girls basketball players, wrestlers, and
cheerleaders – The 7 th & 8 th grade yearbook staff is always looking for
action photos of 7 th & 8 th grade Titan sports. If you take photos at any of
these events and are willing to share them, we’d love to see them. You can
submit your photos online to our Jostens site.
LOG ON TO: images.jostens.com
Enter the following Login ID: 410533809
- Browse to select the photo(s) you wish to upload, click on “Select My
- Enter information about the photo and provide contact information
incase the staff needs additional information.
- Click “Upload Chosen Images.”
The yearbook staff will review all photos and determine final yearbook
content. We cannot guarantee that all submissions will be used.
Winter sports photos can be submitted until February 25th.
From the Theology Department: The MAN Event is just around the corner. Spend a day learning “how to be a man”, for yourself, for your family, and for society. “Putting on the Armor of God” is the theme of this year’s Diocese of Lansing’s men’s conference. Your spiritual guide is none other than the Dynamic Deacon, Deacon Harold Burke-Sivers, an internationally sought after teacher of the faith. The day includes Adoration, Confession, Mass with the bishop (satisfying your Sunday obligation), as well as great music and a full-blown pig roast. It is open to all males 14 years and up (a youth breakout session is planned), so register all the men in your life. Saturday, February 23 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at Our Lady of Fatima Church in Michigan Center. For more info and to register: www.themanevent.org.
From Mrs. Kuhl:Regarding the LC Interfaith Shelter Project:The next Interfaith Shelter dinner is Monday February 4th. Anyone interested in providing a main dish or part of a main dish, please let Mrs. Kuhl know.
From the Library: It is BOOK FAIR time! Our annual Scholastic Book Fair will take place Monday – Friday next week. Stop in the library anytime between 8 a.m – 3 p.m. for the latest in good books, both for your student and yourself!
From Mr. Havlicek: Parents of College-Bound Student/Athletes: Parents and Students heading to NCAA Division I or II schools, or those heading to NAIA Universities, to participate in athletics: You must have completed the Clearinghouse information for the level of your commitment. If you are headed to NCAA Di or DII, make sure you have registered for the NCAA Clearinghouse. Attached is a sheet explaining this. If NAIA level, go to: https://www.playnaia.org/, set up an account and fill out the registration information. Any questions, email Mr. H at firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the Main Office:
Days Ahead! Mark your Calendar – No School!
On Monday, April 8, the Diocese Lumen Christi faculty will be attending Diocesan professional development. Please mark your calendar – No school Monday, April 8 — effectively giving you an extra day off for Spring break!
In tradition, Bishop Boyea each year grants a day off to the students and staff. This year, Bishop Earl Boyea has named Monday, April 22 as a day of no school for you to enjoy an extra day in celebration of Easter Sunday. Please mark your calendar – No school Monday, April 22.
Finally, just a reminder that our students and faculty will honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with a day off of school this Monday, January 21.
From Advancement: For any current seniors who plan to continue to play a sport in college, we will celebrating National Signing Day with you and your student athletes on Wednesday, February 6th at noon in the library. Look for detailed information to follow from Mrs. Manchester.
From Mr. Havlicek: Seniors and Parents: Please send any Scholarships earned to Mr. H ASAP so they can be recorded and placed in the Graduation booklet at the end of the school year. We want to be able to celebrate the accomplishments of all who have been able to receive recognition, and please send ALL scholarships earned, not just the ones for the school you are attending next Fall.
From Student Council: We are looking for some parent volunteers to help with our teacher/staff appreciation lunch on Thursday, Jan 31st during Catholic Schools Week. We still are hoping to get two more soups and salads. If you are interested, click on the sign up link below. Any questions? Email Mrs. Miller at email@example.com.
From Mrs. Miller: The Winter Art Show is now on display! All students 7-12 who were in an art class first semester have an artwork on display. The show is conveniently set up outside of our main office. Come by during school hours to see the amazing talent of our LC students. The show will run from Jan 14th until Feb 1st so check it out!
From President Elaine Crosby: Last chance! We need your help supporting Jackson Catholic Schools! If you have not yet bought your Great 50/50 raffle ticket, please access the link here to support our students and have a chance to win for the rest of the year!Tickets are only sold until January 31, so you must act now!
Please also share this with grandparents and family! We know they want to support Catholic education, too!
From the Junior Class: It won’t be long before it is Friday, May 3rd – the Junior/Senior Prom! It is a night to make memories that will last a lifetime. Many factors go into making it a night to remember, one of these is the “perfect dress”. Before you go shopping we wanted to remind you of the Lumen Christi Catholic School Prom Dress Code. (Please be aware that the dress code applies to all Lumen students and their guests—any students and/or guests that are not properly attired will not be allowed entry.) Below is attached a flier that will help with your planning and shopping.
From the Main Office: Enrollment is now open for the 2019 – 2020 school year. ALL Families attending Jackson Catholic Schools must enroll online. Each family is required to pay a yearly Family Enrollment Fee 0f $55.
To ENROLL your family, visit. www.jcslumenchristi.org and look for the Quick Links, located at the top of the home page. Click on FACTS Enrollment and you will be connected to FACTS to complete the enrollment AND important forms for your student. You will also pay your enrollment fee here and choose your tuition payment preference. To apply for Tuition Assistance – please complete the FACTS Enrollment and then to Quick Links and complete the Tuition Assistance Application. For tuition assistance consideration, application must meet the deadline of March 1, 2019 for both school and Diocesan assistance.
Next Weeks in Sports:
Mon Jan 28
- 7th grade girls basketball V. Pennfield, 4:30
- 8th grade girls basketball @ Pennfield, 4:30
- Varsity Comp Cheer Conference Cheer @ Harper Creek, 5:00
- M.S. Comp Cheer Conference Cheer @ Harper Creek, 5:00
- JV boys basketball @ Vandercook lake 5:30
- Varsity boys Basketball @ Vandercook lake, 7:00
Tues Jan 29
- Varsity Bowling @ Western, 3:30
- M.S. Wrestling @ Pennfield, 4:30
Wed Jan 30
- 8th grade girls basketball V. Hastings, 4:30
- 7th grade girls basketball @ Hastings, 4:30
- Varsity Wrestling Home Quad (Parents Night), 6:00
Thurs Jan 31
- Varsity Bowling @ NW, 3:30
- MS Wrestling @ Harper Creek, 4:30
- JV Girls Basketball @ Hastings, 6:00
- JV Boys Basketball @ Hastings, 7:00
Fri Feb 1
- Girls Varsity Basketball @ Hastings, 6:00
- Boys Varsity Basketball @ Hastings, 6:00
- Boys swimming @ Dexter, 6:00
- Varsity Comp Cheer @ Columbia Central, 6:00
- M.S. Comp Cheer @ Columbia Central, 6:00
- Varsity Hockey V. West Ottawa, 7:00
Sat Feb 2
- Varsity Wrestling Conference tournament @ NW, 9:00
- Varsity Gymnastics @ Haslett, 9:00
- Varsity Hockey @ Holt, 2:30
- From Mrs. Burdick: Shoutout to Blake Hetheringtonwho placed 10th over all at the MathCounts competition and participated in the head-to-head Countdown Round. Anna McClurecame in 14th andAiden Pastorizacame in 15th place. There were over 100 students participating.
- From Mrs. Mijal: Shout out to Mrs. Burdick and the 7/8 Math Counts team membersfor their many hours of preparation at lunch and after school for their competition.
- From Mrs. Garred:Shout out to our seniors, who are showing great leadership this year! This week, in particular, I want to shout out to Mike Guinn, Del Langley, and Brendan Doane….way to be great leaders!
- From Mrs. Burdick: Shoutout to our 7th and 8th grade Mathletes who competed in the MathCounts regional tournament today: Jenna Barks, Trinity Lopez, Anna McClure, Gabby Osterberg, Anthony DeBiasi, Kate Ganton, Blake Hetherington, Grace Melville, Sophia O’Neil, Madison Osterberg, and Aiden Pastoriza.
- From Mrs. Burdick: Shoutout to our awesome LC parents. Mr. Hubbell and Mr. Spencershoveled the sidewalk and driveway for the returning students, bus, and luggage from the March for Life trip. Mrs. DeBiasi and Dr. McCluregraded tests at the MathCounts competition, making this great event possible for all Jackson area students!
- From Mr. Cooper: Shout out to Mike Kuhland the hard work he has done filling open dates for the wrestling team. He has filled numerous open dates in the schedule.
- From Mrs. Leathead: Shout out to Christian McClearfor helping another student.